Saturday, February 5, 2011

Some Thoughts on Technology


I was having a conversation with my dad the other day, and we were talking about the growing dependence on technology. Of course, both of us were certainly aware that this has been going on for some time; however, the interesting thing was how my father felt somewhat obsolete (or a growing concern for people of his age) in this new age of technology. It is very true that things have changed. My brother and I grew up in the age of Atari and Nintendo. Video Games have come a long way since then and now with the internet players can play online from all over the world. Thus, while one group of people feels out of place, the other group is making the most of the developing technology. Nevertheless, is this all good?

It is certainly true that technological advances have made life more convenient for most living today. Nevertheless, has humanity become too reliant on technology for its own good? Like the Johnny Cash song “John Henry” is it a futile effort to confront technology (he dies despite the fact that he defeated the track-laying machine)? Can we even imagine a world without the modern conveniences like lap tops and computers? I am intrigued by the growing use of technology. Certainly, more time is spent online than in years past. Stores are going bankrupt with the development of online shopping and Kindle (I still prefer books). I suppose that this is the normal course of things. Change is scary for some. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how this develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment